Friday, April 10, 2009

then the THIRD day . . .

So now I have been at this Conference for three days.

Got up early in the morning hoping to be able to get into the cup sale, but when I got there at 7:30am the line was already probably 100 people long! I gave up on that and went to the Idea Pot co-lecture with Dr. Billie Sessions and Keith Brockie. Got some great ideas to add into my curriculum.

I wanted to go to the Yoga for Potters, but got there too late and they locked the door! So I went back and saw the end of the Yasuda and Wilson demonstrations. Takeshi Yasuda talked about linear/horizontal methods of exploration and discovery. He used the example of making different kinds of handles. Tara Wilson just made some nice gestural pots. Ran into my friend Dee and went for coffee (I got a sandwich and cookies). I kept running into people I knew. Caught up with my friend Tricia McGuigan who presently is teaching at Biola University. We talked and ate (me eating more). Went to a panel discussion Interdisciplinary Approaches. Thought it would be about art and other disciplines, but realized that it was about art making within the different disciplines and mediums of art. Sat half way thru that and then went to a Panel on Promotions (saw Pat Crabb there). Thought I could do some more, but decided to go back to the motel and take another nap!

Picked up Dee and we went looking for the two venues out in Mesa, AZ. I thought I knew where we were going but we had to stop and ask for directions. Finally got to Mesa Community College for the reception of Potters as Sculptors; Sculptors as Potters. I had gone to the Panel the day before so it was good to see the work. Probably one of the best shows I saw. There were other shows there. Then we went to the Mesa Arts Center another gorgeous and artful building and environment. Androgeny: New Work by Sergei Isupov just very beautiful and disturbing all at the same time. Also other shows and work here that was interesting. A very nice group of shows.

Now I am finally back planning tomorrow as my last day.
I want to get back into the ASU area of shows and see that again. Take more pictures and call it an early evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment